Top 10 Terms for the 2012 Tourney
10. On the bubble: A term for a team that has ~50/50 (give or take) shot of making it into the NCAA tournament.
9. The Big Dance: MARCH MADNESS!
8. Bracketology: Most certainly “a science” if you ask the gurus over at ESPN. Bracketology breaks down all the competitors, their strengths, weaknesses and chances of 1)making the big dance and 2) being crowned the champions.
7. Spoiler Alert: A term that lets you know that, more than likely, the “top ranked” team is going to lose to the lower ranked team. I’m looking at you Hoosiers! (MTPP has Indiana losing to Mexico State)
6. Dream Team: Kentucky. All you can ask for in a team. These kids are young and they are ridiculously talented. If they don’t ALL go to the pros next year, we will have yet another year to watch these guys thump their competitors.
5. NIT – The National Invitation Tournament: This is kind of like when you get invited to a wedding in the second round, after the bride and groom have received their 30 “will not attend” replies. The NIT is for the 32 teams after the 64 best that made it into the Big Dance.
3. Cinderella Team: George Mason University. A couple years ago, GMU got into the NCAA tournament. They won their first game…and kept winning. It was weird. This is what we call a Cinderella story. GMU advanced through the tournament thanks to magic and fairies and wands and sparkles…just like when Cinderella was discovered by her Prince.
2. The Ship – “The Ship” is the Championship Game. Get your brackets ready and send them to MTPP – I want to see who you have in “the ship”.
1. “Oh Baby!”: Coined by Dicky V. himself. You will hear this come out of his mouth more than 3.5 million times throughout the basketball season usually followed by a proclamation of “That was the most magical three pointer I’ve seen from the Dookies this season!”